It’s a fact.
According to the Falls in Older Adults Primary Care Practice Toolkit, developed by the Practicing Physicians Education Project:
Falls occur frequently and are a major cause of disability and death in senior citizens. More than one-third of people over the age of 65 have at least one fall per year.
Injuries sustained in a fall range from trivial bruises to life threatening trauma. Head injuries and fractures of long bones (for example, hip fractures) lead the list.
It is important to realize there may be a delay in the onset of the effects of head injury. Even falls that do not lead to injury can have a negative effect on older adults.
After a fall, elderly patients often voluntarily restrict their activity because they fear another fall. This reduction in exercise leads to further weakness that, in turn, increases the risk of another fall – a vicious cycle.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC 2006) says that among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury or death. They are also the most common cause of nonfatal injuries and hospital admissions for trauma.
At Personal Alert Link we hope you or a loved one never have to experience an unexpected fall. That’s why we provide a variety of educational material for fall prevention.
Please ask a PAL representative if you would like to receive this material.
How it works.
- You simply wear the small The PAL receiver at all times. It’s completely waterproof, safe and can be kept out of sight. You may choose to wear it around your neck or on your wrist.
- Whenever you need help, just press the button on The PAL
- You are instantly connected to one of our Emergency Call Center where you’ll have full two-way voice communication with a trained, caring Call Center Caregiver who has instant access to all your information, in English or Spanish. Right away, we’ll get you the help you need, whether you need an ambulance or just a call to your neighbor for help.
- Even if you’re unable to speak, we’ll send help right away. You never have to worry
- After the call, we’ll follow up with you, your neighbor or emergency services to ensure you received the help you need.